I attended Linton Hall Military School from Fall 63 to Spring 65, (3rd & 4th Grade) A military school, run by Benedictine nuns! You got it coming and going! The day to day military disipline was handled by Bill Farquhar, who is still there at the age of 91! (Now he's listed as "Athletic Director") He seemed a lot older than 47 to me when I was there, but I was a wee 9 or 10 year old. 8th graders were SO COOL!. They got to be officers and were just the Bee's Knees. Speaking of bees, I trying to find out where "General Bee's Restaurant" was in Manassas. We'd go there on "Visiting Sunday" and they had the BEST chicken soup.|
I took a video of the Blacktop, standing where the Arsenal used to be.
- Waking up on my birthday, and saying to myself "I'm 10!",
- The nuns threatening to throw our marbles into Broad Run if we played for "keepsies" (but I seem to remember them saying it was Bull Run )
- Using "lunches" (candy bars and snacks) as bribes and cumshaw
- Just as Sr. Gabriel uttered those dreaded words "Take out your Big 5 Tablets" (meaning we were going to do arithmetic), Sr. Vincent sticks her head in the door and says "The President's been shot!"
- Getting stage fright when it was my turn to do a decade of The Rosary
- Having a crush on Sr. Mark
- Gang showers, with Sr. Vincent coming in to supervise and saying "Make sure you boys get behind your ears!"
- Learning the "facts of life" in the school yard
- Saturday Drills run by "Brass Ass", a retired Army Officer
- Schoolmates: Larry Johnson, Larry Liptrap, K J Vigue, Jay Kriedler, Ricky Bell